7/15/07

Sunday Night at the Museum



Van Gogh, Vincent (văn gō, Dutch vinsent' vän khôkh), 1853–90, postimpressionist painter, b. the Netherlands. Van Gogh's works are perhaps better known generally than those of any other painter. His brief, turbulent, and tragic life is thought to epitomize the mad genius legend.

If you care to learn more about an artist this summer, may I suggest Van Gogh. The brilliant, sunny hues of his Sunflower painting are familiar to most as are the mysterious, swirling, indigo hues of his famous work, The Starry Nights.



Here are some suggestions to get you started:

  • Read a biography of VanGogh's life.
  • Observe his paintings. Ask yourself: How does it make me feel? Why did he choose the colors he did? How does the swirling texture of the brushstrokes contribute to the mood of the painting? What time of day is it, what season is it? Do I like the painting? Why? Why not?
  • Investigate his relationship with his brother Theo. Read some of his letters to him.
  • Watch the film Lust for Life as Kirk Douglass portrays Van Gogh's tormented existence.
  • Engage in an entertaining art lesson with a group of kids or adults, or even by yourself.
  • Listen to the song Starry, Starry Night.
  • Watch a Fantamorph video of Van Gogh's self portraits on YouTube.
  • Go pick some sunflowers, arrange them in a vase, and enjoy their magnificence!

"I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate."
Vincent Van Gogh

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Growing up, my mom had a reproduction of this particular painting in our livingroom. I always loved it. Thanks for posting, and I hope you teach an art appreciation/history course this year.

DebMc said...

I'm a huge lover of Vincent. The first time I saw one of his Starry Night paintings in person my skin sizzled. I knew I was looking at something original and wonderful. Since then we've been privledged to visit the Van Gogh and Koller-Muller (sp?!) in Holland as well as the Orsay in Paris. Excellent.

One interesting fact I've heard but not been able to confirm. One year to the day before Vincent was born, another son was born to his parents, named Vincent, and died. All of his young life, Vincent passed by a grave with his own name and birthdate on it. Only the year was different. Gotta be weird.

Thanks for inviting me to your blog. I enjoyed your information.

Deb aka Happy from WTM

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this, I love art (although I have no talent myself) and these are great links and ideas to help me share this love with my boys. My all time favorite though is Renoir, the Boat Party is my favorite!