6/26/07

Updates

Here are some updates since I have been a delinquent blogger! Actually, I've been very busy planning last minute details for Julia's graduation party (30th) and fighting off migraines (grrrr). When you make multiple batches of yummy fudge brownies and ridiculous amounts of yummy star-shaped sugar cookies that will later be frosted in school colors, you cannot blame yourself for slipping a few delectable tastes into your mouth; even if flour does give you headaches. I know, at 45 I should know better and have more self control than that. I agree. Oh well.
On to the updates.

1. Our baby Orioles have flown the nest. It sits dangling there empty as a sad reminder that they are gone. It happened so fast we didn't even see them leave. We did hear them though. They sat around the yard singing in the trees, constantly, for two days before heading off. It was actually rather annoying! So, Sunday Earle and I bought an oriole feeder and some oriole food in the hopes of keeping some of the family around. They haven't found it yet, but should soon. If you have never seen one, the feeders are bright orange like the belly of the birds and the liquid food smells of oranges.

2. Truffle isn't hobbling anymore, but he is very sluggish and not himself. He goes to the vet on Thursday. Keep praying for him. Earle is very concerned that this is serious. Truffle is Earle's baby. He has kept a constant watch on him and babied him with petting and Fancy Feast. I can tell this is weighing heavily on his heart.

3. The veggie and flower gardens are all doing well. The veggies just got a boost of miracle grow to help them push past the heat we are expected to have the next few days. Our soil is lacking in nutrients. It is great soil if you want to go dig some up to throw a ceramic pot on the wheel. The clay content is extremely high.

We added quite a few new flowers and bushes to the yard recently. Earle asked what took me so long to add more color to the back flower beds. It takes time when you move into a new place. You have to live with it "as is" for a while before you know what you want to do. I will have to take some pics for you all.

We harvested our first crop of veggies: radishes. They are lovely! Some peppers are almost ready and the cilantro is ready to go although it could stand to get taller. I'm afraid we were too late for the spinach. It likes cool weather and we planted it too late. Next year we will get thing in earlier now that the garden is established. My tomato plants Gretchen gave me are about to blossom. The buds are opening. Hers are probably way ahead of mine which needed adjustment time to my garden from her nice raised beds!

4. Finally, this is what has been consuming my time recently. I have had to turn this pile of album and papers into Julia's graduation photo album. It is all about her senior year. I am almost done with it. It, along with the party, is her gift from us. She knows about it, even though she shouldn't, and is very excited.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Praying for Truffle. Maybe the heat has him sluggish, too.

Sorry to hear about the headaches. It must be really, really hard to give up wheat.

Julia's gift looks like it is shaping up to be memorable and beautiful and so thoughtful.

Yes, the tomatoes in my garden are growing, but because the weather has been so hot they aren't setting fruit. Tomatoes typically won't set much fruit when the weather gets in the mid-eighties and above. My peppers are not doing too well, either. But, I have squash taking over everything. Go figure.