6/28/07

Our Graduate






The food for the party on Saturday has been bought, the table display of photos of the graduate has been set up, the desserts have been baked, and the cap and gown pictures have all been taken. Now I just need to clean, decorate, and prepare the house for the guests. Maybe I should buy some more tissues too.
This morning I gave Julia the photo album I'd been working on . She loved it; I cried. She donned her cap and gown for photos. Earle snapped them; I cried. This growing up stuff is hard, and I don't mean hard for them, but us. We are so proud and yet as we reflect we become somehow empty inside. Not empty in a bad way necessarily, empty in the way that we no longer need to pour ourselves into them in the same ways anymore. It's funny that we feel empty when we can no longer empty ourselves for their sake. It is evident at times like these that love is a gift from God and it is only love when we give it away. It only blesses us when we give it away. I am so thankful today for being given the opportunity to give love to my daughter all these years. It has blessed me greatly. I am not the same person now that I was before Julia was in my life.

Thank you God for my blessed graduate, Julia.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

You have a stunningly beautiful daughter. Congratulations are in order to her and you for her accomplishments. I wonder what new thing God has in store for you to pour yourself into.

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to stop reading your blog at work! I need some of those tissues too. Your words have stirred up many emotions only a parent can have. Congratulations to you and Earle for raising two wonder people. I can't wait to see the path they decide to follow as they grow and mature.

Bev