6/5/07

On the Homeschool Front

I have been in the process of making decisions about our son's courses for next year, his junior year. So far this is what he will be doing:

Core classes:

Chalkdust Math (still deciding which course, maybe a geometry review, maybe pre-calc)
Exploring America (for history and Bible, not literature)
A Beka DVD program for English (including American literature) Also, Vocabulary for the High School Student
Apologia Chemistry


Electives:

A Beka Consumer Math
Artistic Pursuits, senior high book I

I was hoping he could take German I and II at the community college with his sister this coming year, but they are not offering it right now. Perhaps it will be available his senior year. Most likely he will take some other classes there his senior year too like his sister did this year. We studied German here for a year and a half on our own and may pick it up again this summer to keep the flow going. I would, personally, like to study Greek someday also, but that will have to wait for another season of my life.

As always, I will add in and subtract from the courses as they are laid out. I just can't help myself. Some of our most worthwhile ventures over the years have been literature selections and curriculum materials we have added in after reading about them in my favorite homeschooling resource: The Well Trained Mind. We do not follow a classical approach to our education at the high school level, although we did more so at the middle school level. I have found the author's literature recommendations and English recommendations invaluable. We fall into the eclectic homeschool category I would say, picking and choosing to suit our students' needs and abilities.

This will be our most expensive year ever for curriculum purchases because of the DVD math and English programs. You'd think we would be saving money since we only have the one student now! We are still paying for most of our daughter's education too at the community college. She is contributing some and buying her books. It is a help.

It always feels good to have decisions made. Now I can enjoy finishing up this year and look forward to next year.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I always get re-inspired about homeschooling when we're gearing up for a new year. I'm afraid we've missed out on the language thing, too. I think that will have to wait for community college, and I suspect it will be French for at least one of my students. I find the cost of curriculum going down, but that's because I tend to stick with things now better than before!