6/1/07

New Friend

We have been hearing a new song in our yard lately. The singer has a lovely voice, so melodic and clear; but he has been elusive. After waiting weeks to catch a glimpse of our shy vocalist, I spotted him today perched in one of our silver maple trees singing his heart out as he preened the raindrops from his feathers after a summer rain shower. Do you recognize him? He is a Baltimore Oriole. They are really not very rare according to the Audubon guide. We have quite a few different birds in our yard on a regular basis, but he is new. Late winter this year we even had the phantom Blue Bird pay us a visit. I wonder what will be next? The Oriole is very pretty with his bright orange breast and his song is pleasing to hear. My favorite remains the Mourning Dove though. There is just something about that melancholy tune and the way their tiny heads bob around on their plump bodies as they peck the fallen seeds on the ground under the feeder. Perhaps I feel kinship to the Doves because they are pear-shaped like me. Poor sweet little things!

The Ornithology Lab at Cornell University has a bank of bird songs you can listen to. There are 138 selections of just the Oriole alone. Have a listen to your favorite bird.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I love the morning doves, too. How lucky you are to have such lovely background music!

Gretchen said...

Your post reminded me of the Baltimore Oriole nest that was suspended next to a traffic light in my old hometown. My dad pointed it out to me one morning in the late spring and we looked for it each time we passed that way. It's a precious memory, for my dad had a way with creatures, even though he was a city boy. He was always bringing home stray cats and dogs, to my mom's everlasting frustration. Makes me smile. Thanks for posting about orioles.