6/14/07

New Family in the Neighborhood


I'm so excited! I posted earlier about our new friend in our yard, the Baltimore oriole. Well, there are actually two orioles, a male and a female. We caught our first glimpse of her today as she emerged from their nest in order to sit next to the male on an overlooking branch! She is less colorful than the male and slightly smaller. The most thrilling part is the position of the nest, about 10 feet directly above the corner of our deck. I am hopeful we will see the fledglings as they emerge from the nest.


I was also rewarded with yet another new friend in the neighborhood today. As I was in my bathroom, near the window, I heard the unmistakable call of a bobwhite proclaiming his presence in the brush behind the house. They aren't even supposed to be in our area. We are a little too far north. I hope I will have a chance to see him. Quail-type birds are so interesting to watch!

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Ooooh, I want to see it!

Anonymous said...

I would be equally excited about your new neighbor, but DON'T tell your cats!!!!
Bev