3/25/08

The New Toy

We decided it was time to replace Earle's almost six year old Sony digital camera. It literally has a screw loose, missing even, and the memory stick is shot. No pun intended. He searched the net for a replacement stick to no avail. The Sony had been a surprise 40th Birthday present from me. It will always be special, but now it will take its deserved place in our old camera collection. It will be in good company there with the old Nikon 35mm and the Leicas.
The new D80

First shots with the D80. The semi-frozen pond at the park. The silly birds are lined up along the edge of the ice like they are on the edge of the sand at the beach sunbathing.


The photographer's assistant


The assistant's choice of subject matter.

The silly birds, revisited.

Since we are all equally excited about the new camera, we've decided to conduct a weekly photo challenge. We brainstormed photography theme ideas, wrote them on slips of paper, and relegated them to a basket. Earle drew the first one. All this week we will concentrate our photography efforts on fulfilling this theme. At the end of the week we'll share our best results and critique our photos.

Theme #1

Shawn, balanced on the deck stairs capturing a few of our flying friends which congregate in our yard in great abundance.

I'll share our results over the weekend. If you care to join us, pick up your camera and have fun!

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

That sounds like fun! I'm afraid my dinky camera won't capture flying objects, but I'm eager to see your results.

Skeller said...

woohoo! Congrats on the new camera - Enjoy!! The first photos are fabulously beautiful :-)

Needleroozer said...

I'll give it a shot (get it?). The new peeps aren't flying yet, but they are testing out their wings- I bet they would make great subjects!

Your hunny is still very handsome, even with his shiner!
LB

Lisa said...

Skeller, I'm glad you liked the photos. You're such a great photographer, it means a lot to know you think they are "fabulously beautiful"! I so enjoy your photography. Your blog is like a jewel of color and composition!

LB, I can't wait to see more pics of your little peeps! They are so cute.

We have more and more feathered friends here all the time to photograph. The male robins have returned and just this morning there are red winged black birds on the ground under the feeder! It seems everywhere I go I am seeing potential bird shots! I usually don't have the camera with me though. We also live near a small airport. I will need to visit there too! It's too early for bugs. Ds and I thought about throwing one of the cats up in the air...does that qualify? Just brainstorming "out loud here", feel free to share your thoughts :-)

DebMc said...

Oh, drool time...the camera looks wonderful. I keep telling myself I don't *need* another (bigger, better) camera because I'm not a pro anymore.
But...look at all those pretty buttons... sigh.
The photos are terrific. Y'all have lots of fun with your new toy.