1/28/08

Soap

Soap is what is wrong with America.

I was happy with my Dove beauty bar, religiously washing with it in the shower and at my sink, replacing it almost weekly as it melted away into nothing more than a white film that coated my shower floor and necessitated weekly scrubbings. I never wondered why it lasted such a short time or why my skin felt soft and youthful (and oily and coated) after washing with it. I felt comforted by my constant stash of the conformed white bars lined up neatly in their boxes on my shelf.

Then I went to Europe. And I bought soap. And it was hand made soap. From a monastery. In France.


This new soap lasts. It doesn't soften and deteriorate, but the amount it is diminished by daily is the amount actually used, applied, scrubbed with, rinsed off. There is no residue on the shower floor. The colors are lovely and natural, not "conformist white". The bars contain flecks of actual plant material that gently exfoliates as it cleanses, not needing to leave an oily film behind in order to soften the skin. And then there is the smell. It's not perfumy or contrived. You are overcome with the presence of a faint garden, of whole lavender blossoms and lemon verbena swaying in the summer wind on tender stalks.

As the Dove sits melting away, deserted in the shower stall, I have begun to realize that this is what is wrong with America. We settle for, even desire, the transitory, the artificial, the man-made. We want cheap convenience wrapped in little white boxes sitting sedately on the shelf so we will never have to do without.

How does your soap measure up?


6 comments:

Daisy said...

Okay, I now have soap envy. I stand here with a bar of Dove in my hand and it seems somehow diminished. I. must. have. cool. soap. Thanks. :-)

Anonymous said...

Soap is an interesting subject for me this year as well. I received some handmade soap that consists of organic fruits and vegetables and pure essential oils as a Christmas gift, It is made in England. I can not go back to the white bar! I have been moved to a new level of cleansing. I received two kinds and was very very sad when I finished the first. The soap is sold by the pound and each piece is around 1/4 of a lb.

Bev

Lisa said...

You guys are too funny. I'm cracking up over here!

"soap envy"
"...new level of cleansing"

Thanks for the laugh and for playing along with my silly analogy on life! And yes, it came to me in the shower. (just in case you were wondering)

Needleroozer said...

I am in love with the Foil Hat soaps. I have not used any other kind for about 3 yrs now. Yummy smells- though I do not like my soap to smell like food.
LB

Lisa said...

Oh yes, I've heard Amy's soaps are great. Anybody wanting some pampering should check out:

http://www.thefoilhat.com

C said...

Another vote for Foil Hat soaps. I can't use Dove anymore. My skin (and sensibilities) would object. ;o)