11/21/07

Preparations

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, a day to spend with loved ones thankful of all our blessings, and of course thankful for the food. My sister, Kathy is hostess this year. She is a wonderful cook. I learned practically everything I know about cooking from either her or our mom. The usual holiday feast will be waiting for us tomorrow as we venture over the river and through...oops, I mean over the highway and through the towns. As my contribution to the feast I have been asked to bring pies. Guess what I've been up to this morning?
A messy cook is a happy cook I've always said. Are you neat or messy in the kitchen? Do you clean and wash dishes as you go or do they pile up until the end? I'm somewhere in between but closer to the latter.


Blueberry pie, with a kitty-shaped steam hole of course, and a well sugared crust.

Oh look, there's two pumpkin pies as well! It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them.

No sense in wasting the extra pie dough. Mom always made tarts with the extra dough. They were the best part because they were so small and precious and because we could eat them right away! These tarts are filled with cherry berry conserve and quince jelly.

What are you having for dessert this Thanksgiving? Are pies on your menu? What kinds? Yum, yum. Be sure to save room for dessert.

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

I made a plum/pear tart, and an apple/rhubarb/cranberry pie, and two pumpking pies (we've already eaten one). I have already cooked most everything, but the turkey and stuffing...mashed potatoes, carrot/turnip mash, broccoli cheese bake, sweet potato casserole (with cranberries and pecans); tomorrow I have to bake dinner rolls, whip together a scalloped corn dish, and make gravy. Busy, busy, busy. Hope your day is wonderful.

Lisa said...

Oooh, it all sounds so yummy! It's a good thing this food preparation is so much work or we'd all gain twice as much weight over the holidays! Happy eating to you and yours!

Vanessa said...

We had no pies this year :( :( :(

There was creme burlee (sp?) and pumpkin cheesecake, but no pie. *sigh* I really missed seeing everyone this year.

In regards to the dishes, I am a wash-as-I-go cook. But there always still seems to be a pile waiting to be washed when I'm done!

Lisa said...

What, no pies!!! Blasphemy! Next year Thanksgiving is going to have to be in NY ;-)

Anonymous said...

We had:
pumpkin
chocolate cream
strawberry
strawberry rhubarb
mixed berry: strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry
Mississippi mud
apple
pumpkin woopie pies
lemon cake
and peanut butter cookies
There were 12 of us after all :o)

Lisa said...

Oh my, Meridith. That's almost a one to one ratio of person to pie! How did you all manage to "roll" home after that feast?

I hope Eben enjoyed meeting the family. He certainly had his fill of desserts. We look forward to meeting him in the future!

Anonymous said...

I totally lied, oops! There were... 15 of us... I think. I didn't count me, Eben, or Makiko! Ah, the challenges of counting! All the same, the desserts were quite excessive. That's the Gillis side of the family for you.

And yes, Eben enjoyed meeting everyone. Russ only made him slightly nervous/uncomfortable a couple of times :o) He's eager to meet the rest of the Gillis'.