11/19/07

First Snow

It has been a dreary week and a half. A virus had invaded my life, robbing me of a healthy birthday, attendance at a baby shower, and shopping at a craft fair with Gretchen. All my creative energies had vanished as I hibernated day after dreary day waiting for the coughing and sneezing and aching to loose its grip on me. Bah. Then it started snowing last evening. And I ventured out in it with Julia and Dog. And Julia, Derek, and Shawn ventured out for appetizers and ice cream at Friendly's. And I read in the stillness of the greatroom in the midst of the falling snow. And I began to feel human again.

The coughing woke me early again today. My usual ritual. Today I didn't mind. Today I had intended to wake early, to not miss the magic of early morning snow. First snow. Awake before dawn, I peered out the bedroom window hopefully. Yes, the wind had remained calm. The blanket of snow rested sleepily on the trees, undisturbed. I donned my thick, insulating, L.L. Bean bathrobe and slipped my feet into winter boots waiting hopefully by the door since last evening's venture outside. Camera in hand I met the sunrise, thankful for a private back yard in my odd attire.

The sun is now bright in the sky and chunks of snow like white apples fall from every tree. The jays are hurrying to and from the suet cage, recharging their spent energy. The beauty may be melted away by this afternoon, but the magic of the morning has recharged my energy. I suspect today will be the turning point. I already feel a wellspring of creativity flooding my virus taxed brain. I am on the mend. Finally. And the world is bright and new and waiting.



From the snug greatroom the wonderland of snow beckons


Sunrise begins over the shrouded back yard
A brightening wintry sky

A snowbound bird haven

All snug in their beds

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Lovely photos. Glad to hear you are on the mend. I ended up not going to the craft fair. C'est la vie.