8/16/07

Crafty Women


My friend Gretchen had a visitor this week. Her mother came to stay. On Tuesday evening we shipped all the kids off to vacation Bible school and had a little crafting party. While at Michael's on Sunday afternoon we found these wonderful glass-topped serving trays. The black matting below the glass already had four photo-sized cut outs waiting to be filled and personalized. Gretchen and her mom decided on a mostly black and white theme to surround black and white prints of the kids. I had a handy stash of postcards Earle picked up while in South Korea and decided on a travel theme. We spent the evening eating Cowboy Caviar (supplied by Gretchen's mom), blueberry iced tea, and topped off with some sour cherry pie.


Us gals with our finished trays. Aren't they lovely? (The trays that is!)


It makes a nice display on the dining room table with my (plastic) orchids, silk table runner, and terracotta pot for brewing traditional oolong tea.

In addition to the Korean postcards, I used some wonderful cancelled foreign postage stickers, pressed and dried leaves from our yard, craft luggage tags, ribbon, rub-on transfer words, and actual coins from Europe, Taiwan, and Japan.

Now, if only I could get my traveler to stay home for a while to enjoy it with me! He travels for work, not pleasure and would be on the road much less if by choice. We take the good with the bad. We have accumulated some wonderful memories, photographs, and memorabilia during his travels. I'm sure right now, after his latest travel fiasco of being stranded in Bangkok awaiting a plane repair, he would much rather be home with his feet up and a good cup of tea in his hand. Come Saturday he will get his wish for a few days. Then, we are off to Maine. But that, my dear readers, is another blog post...

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Had a great time and so did Mom. Thank you for being so creative and thinking up some wonderful thing to do while my Mom was here. She's a longtime crafter and was just delighted at the possibilities!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had some fun with friends and I love the tray! What a great conversation piece. :)

Angela