8/18/08

First Day of School


Remember when you first went to kindergarten and mom and dad had you smile and pose while you stood at the bus stop in your new school clothes and name tag? For us homeschoolers, sometimes leaving the house for the first day of school comes a little later.

I couldn't help but snap this pic of Shawn this morning as he sat waiting for Julia to finish doing her hair so they could leave together for the first day of classes at the community college. I also couldn't help but be a little anxious for them. It is Shawn's first classroom experience since third grade when we decided to homeschool, and it is Julia's hardest year yet with all upper level classes with scary names like Organic Chemistry and tutor and lab assistant responsibilities. Yikes. It's enough to make a mom's skin crawl.

I know they'll do well. They are such good kids. I am proud of them both and wish them well today. This momma can't wait until they come home from the first day of school to tell her all about it.

5 comments:

Skeller said...

Yikes! He looks like such a grown up scholar. Hope their first day is great...

Lisa said...

Yikes is right, Susan! How did I become old enough for this adult to be my "baby"?!

The first day went great. They are both in homework mode already. I treated them to dinner at Applebee's to help them unwind.

PS. It's good to see you! I'm glad to be back blogging again.

Anonymous said...

Shawn!

I'm proud of you. Now that you have come of age and we can start letting you out of the house, (hehe, THE homeschooler joke)it's so nice to not have any fear of how you will conduct yourself and behave in this new setting.

Dad.

Mama Peep said...

Congrats to you all! I am certain they will have a great year albeit a bit tough. Oh the memories of O Chem...no thanks!

Patricia

Vanessa said...

I hope they had a great first day and I wish them both luck with the semester!