8/17/08

Chain Maille





What does a crafty teen who has just visited the Renaissance Festival do with her last weeks before college begins? She picks up and masters a new hobby, of course.

Julia and her friends were intrigued by the chain maille for sale at the Renaissance Fair. She bought a small bracelet that drapes over the hand in a "V" and loops around the middle finger. It was an innocent enough purchase at first. Now, she is hooked. Now, there are bags of jump rings littering every horizontal surface in the house and pliers lain askew on place mats and coffee tables. And, there is a young lady, her eyes glued to a laptop monitor in front of her, pliers in both hands, who wrestles these stainless jump rings into all kinds of intricate patterns and beautiful weavings. We have a chain maille junkie on our hands!

Seriously though, the jewelry she is making is quite lovely. When one thinks of chain maille, if they are like me, they think of chunky suits worn by knights to protect them from glancing sword blows. But, this craft has grown to be much more. There are so many different fancy "weaves" and patterns that have crossed over from chain maille's once strictly utilitarian purpose to resemble something of art.

Julia has become so intrigued with this process and so proficient at her new craft that she is even considering selling her work, which I might add goes for a pretty penny online. Bravo to her for teaching herself this wonderful pastime and creative outlet.

My kids' creativity and ability to look up how to do something and then do it and do it well never ceases to amaze me.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Jump rings! I'm doing a ton of those. What fun! mac took a Teen Jewelry camp over the summer and I think is hooked too. It's so much fun to make things you can later show and tell.

Cheers,
Jenny

Unknown said...

Oh, I definitely agree! Being able to make something that afterward you can take to someone and say, "Hey, look! I made this!" is really quite addicting...

Anonymous said...

I love the look, great job Julia. I don't know why your Mom is so amazed at your ability to be creative, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree!

Aunt Bev

Anonymous said...

LOL... my daughter had the same reaction to the chain maille - and it might have even been the same festival! Was it the one built into the side of a hill very close to the shores of the great lake that begins with an O, LOL?

We had a wonderful time there and will most certainly be back next year... costumes and all.

I love your art, BTW.

Jen along the Erie Canal :o)

Lisa said...

Thanks, Bev ;-)

Jen, I think we are talking about the same festival. Mine plan to go in costume next year too. We all went as a family two years ago. I hadn't been since I was a high schooler myself. It is such fun. One can never tire of the jousting or dunking the town fool!

Anonymous said...

Julia,

It's exciting to see you "back in the saddle" with some projects like this! BTW, you have already have some chain maille that is visiting the old motherland in Germany right now (my keychain). This air is probably tempering it.

Just wondering, when will my long sleeve shirt be ready? Winter is coming.

Dad

Unknown said...

Hey Dad,

Haha! I hope the keychain is not tempered badly and is holding up pretty well. Your shirt, on the other hand, may have to wait until next winter!

Julia

Lindsey said...

I think these are beautiful! I can't say that I have ever seen any like it and have to also mention that I could see why they would sell quite well. How wonderful for her to have taught herself this! I hope she does well with selling them- I can't see why she wouldn't!

Vanessa said...

No way! That is soooo cool! Go Julia!