4/6/08

Sunday Morning Blessing




I awoke this morning in time to send off the kids as they headed out to visit Seth at college. They left at 7:45 am to make the 5 hour round trip and be back by early evening. Soon after they left some movement caught my eye outside our front window. I wasn't the only one up early enjoying the warming temps and abundant sunshine. An entire flock of Cedar Waxwings covered our front silver maples and swooped down in crowds of six or so to feast on the red berries of our Holly bush. They were magnificent! Though we have an abundance of birds here, I have never seen a Waxwing before. I stood at the window snapping pics for half an hour, berating my inept camera (the new camera is in Germany with Earle). They filled their bellies and sunned themselves on the leafless branches. Then, they were gone. What a treat. Had I slept a few minutes more or been distracted by some task I would have missed the show. Timing is everything.

2 comments:

Needleroozer said...

And they fit into your photo challenge for the week! I love, love, love waxwings- I have only seen them twice here- the first time, I was lucky enough to have my nature journal out so I could draw it.

Hey, I've been meaning to ask you- is it that I can paint oil over acrylic, or acrylic over oil? IT is the first way, isn't it??
LB

Lisa said...

I was just watching the Waxwings, they are back again! Must be those berries only held them through early afternoon! The lighting isn't good right now for more pics. I'm so lucky to have seen them this morning.

I think you can paint arylic over oil, in fact I have on trim in houses, if you sand it very thoroughly so the paint can grip. Oil over acrylic is a no-no. The acrylic is water based and as a plastic material that remains somewhat flexible it also retains some moisture. The oil paint will not cure properly on a surface that isn't absolutely dry. It will most likely peel off.