9/16/07

Sufferin' Succotash


Yesterday, Gretchen invited us over for a feast. Being quite a capable cook and working at a historical museum with ready access to period cookbooks from America's past, she was inspired to whip up a plethora of period goodies of which Shawn and I were willing partakers. Julia was occupied elsewhere and Earle is traveling again, so they weren't able to enjoy the evening with us. The weather, having just turned colder, made the evening a perfect setting for rib-sticking foods, a first fireplace lighting of the season, captivating Celtic music, and cozy conversation late into the evening. Baked ham, mashed potatoes, creamed onions, yeast rolls, chutney, baked beans, and succotash comprised the feast. Everything was exceptionally good, but the succotash and creamed onions were special delicacies for me. I had never had either before. If you, like me, have yet to try succotash, you really must make it a point to try this warm, filling dish of corn, Lima beans, butter, cream, and salt pork. I love anything with onions in it and creamed onions were heavenly, especially ladled on top of those mashed potatoes. I wish you all could have been there to experience the mingled aromas wafting from the kitchen and drenching the whole downstairs in home cooked splendor! The entire evening was like a kind of therapy, a magic potion enabling you to forget the pleasures of the passing summer and embrace the coming fall and winter with open arms.


And now, since Gretchen and I have developed a bit of a competitive cooking spirit between us, I must ponder my next meal to serve them when they are our guests. Somehow I don't think I will be able to top this feast! I may have to concede defeat and go on with my life. I do have a few ideas though...

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

She's lying when she talks about defeat. I have a feeling this friendly 'Iron Chef' competition will have long to go before either admits defeat! I've come close, but I'm still holding out! lol.

Anonymous said...

I made succotash once but instead of Lima beans I used edamame (soy beans) which was great! I'm not a big Lima bean fan, and the edamame had a great texture.

Lisa said...

Sounds yummy, Meridith. I have actually seen the recipes that call for edamame instead of Lima beans while I was browsing the net for succotash info for this post. I'm glad to hear it was good that way. Thanks for the idea!