5/26/07

In the Garden


Today was an outside workday. The weather was fantastic, not too hot or cold. Earle and I braved the crowds at Lowe’s to scoop up some wave petunias for our deck planter boxes.

Next up will be some tomato plants for the garden. I would like to find an heirloom variety somewhere local, but I’m not sure what I will find. We planted the rest of the veggie garden several days ago. I think the threat of frost has finally passed! I have been faithfully watering the soil daily because it has been so dry. When I went out to check for progress this afternoon I was pleasantly greeted by several lovely radish seedlings sprouting up through the soil. I knew they would be first of course. They take no time at all to grow. I planted about a third of the radish seeds in order to spread out the harvest. I did the same with the lettuce and Swiss chard. The rest of the garden is planted with: Matt’s Wild cherry tomatoes (from Mexico), heirloom yellow crookneck squash, Italian zucchini, bush beans, spinach, and spaghetti squash.

I also have two lovely pepper plants given to me by Erik, a friend from Germany who works with Earle. He was here a week ago and we had him and another associate over for a cookout. He brought the peppers as well as a lovely stainless olive oil decanter. It is a beautiful and well-constructed object as all items made in Germany tend to be. It is beautiful and useful both and makes a lovely addition to my kitchen countertop! The pic to the left is the blossoming pepper plant, I'm just not sure if it is the red or yellow pepper!
Things in the yard are coming along nicely now, but we did have some damage and losses over the winter this year. One of our low evergreen shrubs had to come out. It was completely brown and past being revived. Also, some of our holly bushes died back and lost a lot of dead leaves. I'm not sure what happened to them. Maybe it is part of their cycle. I have never had holly before. They all blossomed abundantly and are showing a lot of new growth. I'll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I have some heirloom tomato seeds, Brandywine. You can have them if you want to start from seed. They are fast to germinate and grow. If you want I have a couple extra plants you could have. I have way too many tomato plants as it is. Want me to bring some on Monday? How many?