5/24/07

First Things First

Recently I was invited to attend a Creative Memories party. Years ago, at least ten, I put together an album for my family. My kids are now young adults of 16 and 18. Looking back at that album is a delight and I am glad I made the effort, but I had not really intended to make another one. But this party intrigued me. Faithbooking: a record of my spiritual life and God's faithfulness. This I might have to make time for in my life.

During the course of the party we were given the usual tour of the available supplies, encouraged with suggestions for faithbook themes, and shown numerous lovely example pages done by the host and the consultant. Then we were given a task. "Write, on this index card sized paper, what you would want to say about your faithbook album and who you would want to read it. Pretend you will not live through this year." Hey, this is tough stuff. I thought this was a "party". Can't we just have the snacks and call it a night? So, we all took up our brand new, cap-never-been-off-before felt tipped pens and composed. I am not a writer, I am a painter, but I liked what poured itself from my pen tip. With a little revising I could actually see using this poem as the intro page to my faithbook, someday. First I have a graduation album to complete for my 18 year old daughter. Then maybe I will have to start sharing my faith through photos and words and art. We'll see.

If you are interested in finding out more about faithbooking check out the Creative Memories website: http://www.creativememories.com/LandingPages/Page?folder=Promo3

Here am I
at the gate
the novel of my life is complete
"the end"
in indelible ink
a finished work

Who will read my story?
my husband
my sister
my children
my friends

The pages are open for all to see
laid bare
the good and the bad
the wicked and the wonderful
all by God's grace

His pen
His ink
His faithfulness

Through it all
for my good
for my life
to tell

His story

No comments: